1/14 (Sat.) Getting Along with Anyone/Voice Out Disagreement (Host: Julia Ho)

回覆文章
JuliaHo
文章: 37
註冊時間: 週三 10月 21, 2020 9:05 am

文章 JuliaHo »

Hi all,

Let’s talk about getting along with difficult people and how to voice out disagreement with people more powerful than us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGMGjXQOYxs 8:19
How to Work with Someone You Can't Stand: The Harvard Business Review Guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbtHJm8vFpE 7:15
How to Disagree with Someone More Powerful: The Harvard Business Review Guide

Session 1

1. What are the characteristics of difficult people? What kinds of personalities are difficult to handle?

2. What causes people to be difficult? Are difficult people born or made?

3. How do you handle people who are hard to get along with? How to stop letting difficult people ruin your day?

4. Do you think that you are a difficult person at one point or another? What to do about it? Have you ever tried to change yourself to become a more easygoing person?

Session 2

1. Your senior/influential family member announces an investment that you find unrealistic. Your superior proposes a new initiative that you don’t know if it can work. Your senior colleague proposes an idea that you find risky. What can you do? Would you speak up your mind? Why?

2. Is it ok for your subordinates or junior family members to disagree with you? Do you believe that some level of disagreement is healthy? How to deal with someone who disagrees with everything you say?

3. According to the video, when and where to speak up your disagreement matter. Please share with us what’s the right time and environments to voice your dissent to more powerful people in a family and business?

4. Is it possible to disagree without arguing or even saying it? Share with us some successful examples.

.......................................................................................
Agenda:
3:50 ~ 4:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
4:00 ~ 4:10pm Opening Remarks / Grouping
(Session I)
4:10 ~ 4:50pm Small Group Discussion (40 mins)
4:50 ~ 5:10pm Summarization (20 mins)
5:10 ~ 5:20pm Newcomer’s Self-introduction/Regrouping & Break
(Session II)
5:20 ~ 6:00pm Small Group Discussion (40 mins)
6:00 ~ 6:20pm Summarization (20 mins)
6:20 ~ 6:30pm Concluding Remarks

On-site meeting:
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $80)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Online meeting:
Zoom meeting ID: 875 5256 1813
Password: loveyoyo
Link: https://tinyurl.com/yoyobest

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for twice (including on-site and online meetings). After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 (NT$1,000 for students) lifetime membership fee.
JuliaHo
文章: 37
註冊時間: 週三 10月 21, 2020 9:05 am

Re: 1/14 (Sat.) Getting Along with Anyone/Voice Out Disagreement (Host: Julia Ho)

文章 JuliaHo »

Each and every one of us has likely encountered someone difficult to get along with.
Share with us how you handle this issue!
Iris Wu
YOYO member
文章: 898
註冊時間: 週二 5月 20, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: 1/14 (Sat.) Getting Along with Anyone/Voice Out Disagreement (Host: Julia Ho)

文章 Iris Wu »

Q1. What are the characteristics of difficult people? What kinds of personalities are difficult to handle?
--> Whatever to describe your spouse would probably be good answers for this question. :)
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

This is normally a topic I’d steer clear of because it makes me think of difficult people I’ve encountered at work or in other situations, especially those who are a current pain in the neck. Simply thinking of them or what they have done or said could arouse strong negative emotions. As a result, getting a nuisance out of the mind is the usual approach that I take to prevent them from ruining my day.
Kooper
YOYO member
文章: 2728
註冊時間: 週三 4月 11, 2007 11:40 pm

文章 Kooper »

Iris Wu 寫:
週五 1月 13, 2023 6:59 pm
Q1. What are the characteristics of difficult people? What kinds of personalities are difficult to handle?
--> Whatever to describe your spouse would probably be good answers for this question. :)
Well, I hope my better half doesn't see me this way (fingers crossed :drink:)
Michael-liu
YOYO member
文章: 708
註冊時間: 週五 4月 24, 2009 6:09 pm

文章 Michael-liu »

Iris Wu 寫:
週五 1月 13, 2023 6:59 pm
Yes, exactly, very insightful observations 😆
stephen185
YOYO member
文章: 206
註冊時間: 週三 5月 30, 2007 8:23 pm

文章 stephen185 »

Q:Is it possible to disagree without arguing or even saying it?
Instead of arguing or explicitly saying it, suggesting an alternative or asking questions and tenderly guiding the direction of the conversation could be a better way to express your disagreement. However, sometimes, acknowledging that you and the other person have different viewpoints and agreeing to disagree might be the best way to go.
回覆文章