3/7 (Tue.) Book sharing: Living Untethered- Part1 (Host: thomas)

回覆文章
thomas
YOYO member
文章: 15
註冊時間: 週五 8月 21, 2020 9:27 pm

3/7 (Tue.) Book sharing: Living Untethered- Part1 (Host: thomas)

文章 thomas »

Dear yoyo fellows,

There is Thomas again. I hope you guys are doing well.This time I would like to share a book which I am very impressed with, called Living Untethered. It pulled me out of my depression. It may inspire you too.

This is the first time to host such a serious topic. So, Don’t come with high expectations. It is better to have an empty cup in your mind. And let’s explore our inner self.

Material:
Source1: https://youtu.be/Xb_0B2ax2R8
Source2: https://booksyougottaread.com/2022/12/0 ... edicament/

Session 1:
Could you share one of your events recently which was not heading the direction you want to. For example, a heartbreak relationship or an argument with your colleagues.
(a) What makes you frustrated? What did you learn from that experience?
(b) Do you believe that people have full control of the event or the reaction from others? If so, why? If not, what attitude should people have to deal with the outside world?

Session 2:
You may hear someone said that “few days ago, my mind pop up a terrible thought. And it bothers me a lot.”
(a) In this statement, how did people notice the thought? As same as with the event from the outside world, people are experiencing the thought come and go in their mind. So, people are neither the thought, nor the mind. Do you agree or disagree? and why is that?
(b) The author believes that consciousness is in the central spot, reacting to either the outside world or the mind. Could you distinguish among thoughts, mind, and consciousness? Give us examples.

Session 3:
Every experience is unique. Some of them make people happy, but some of them make people uncomfortable in their mind. People usually use their freewill to grab the thing they like and escape the thing they dislike.
(a) Could you share an example in your life, what experiences make you obsessed? And what experiences make you run away from it?
(b) The author recognizes that the freewill is consciousness. If people cannot stay neutral and have preference on objects, consciousness will hold it and the image of thought will stay in their mind, called attachment in buddhism. In this situation, people no longer focus on the present, distracting you from the image in your mind. Could you share with us what distracts you? How did you deal with it?

Agenda:
6:45 ~ 7:00pm Greetings & Free Talk / Ordering Beverage or Meal / Getting Newcomer’s Information
7:00 ~ 7:10pm Opening Remarks / Newcomer’s Self-introduction / Grouping
(Session I)
7:10 ~ 7:45pm Discussion Session (35 mins)
7:45 ~ 8:00pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:00 ~ 8:05pm Regrouping / Instruction Giving / Taking a 5 Minutes Break (Intermission)
(Session II)
8:05 ~ 8:40pm Discussion Session (35 mins)
8:40 ~ 8:55pm Summarization (15 mins)
8:55 ~ 9:00pm Concluding Remarks / Announcements

Meeting Date: As shown on the Subject Line
Meeting Time: 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Meeting Venue: 丹堤咖啡 Dante Coffee (Minimum Order $85)
Address: 台北市濟南路三段25號[MAP]-捷運忠孝新生站3號出口步行3分鐘

Important Notes:
1. We advise participants to print out the discussion questions and bring them to the meeting for reference. As for the supporting articles, feel free to print them out, as well, according to your preference.
2. We suggest that participants read the articles and think about the questions in advance.
3. Newcomers should prepare a two-to-three minute self-introduction in English to deliver when called upon by the host before the start of the discussion. The host may also ask you to give brief feedback about the meeting at the conclusion of the meeting.
4. We conduct the entire meeting in English. All participants should have at least moderate English-conversation skills and be able to articulate your ideas for each discussion question.
5. We welcome newcomers and other guests to attend the meetings and join the discussion freely for two times. After that, we hope you will consider becoming a YoYo English Club member. We charge a NT$1500 lifetime membership fee, or NT$1000 for students.
mmgg6006
YOYO member
文章: 5
註冊時間: 週三 10月 28, 2015 3:55 pm

Re: 3/7 (Tue.) Book sharing: Living Untethered- Part1 (Host: thomas)

文章 mmgg6006 »

What a wonderful topic! I hope I can join the discussion if I don't need to heal my teeth :( I also enjoy reading another book named "Living with Joy." I believe all environments reflect your mind, and the most important thing is to live according to you highest inner self.
miller
YOYO member
文章: 99
註冊時間: 週三 5月 09, 2018 6:17 pm

文章 miller »

Move to the top.
頭像
Rock
YOYO member
文章: 2162
註冊時間: 週三 10月 31, 2007 9:03 am

文章 Rock »

Me: Is it possible to achieve a more mindful way of living by practicing intense exercise?

ChatGPT: Yes, it is possible to achieve a more mindful way of living through practicing intense exercise, as long as it is approached in a mindful and intentional way.

One of the key principles of mindfulness is being fully present and aware of our thoughts, feelings, and experiences in the moment, and this can be cultivated through a variety of activities, including intense exercise. When we engage in intense exercise mindfully, we can focus our attention on the sensations and experiences of our body and mind, rather than becoming distracted or overwhelmed by external stimuli or distractions.

Furthermore, intense exercise can also provide a range of physical and mental health benefits that can support a more mindful way of living, such as reduced stress and anxiety, improved mood and well-being, and enhanced physical fitness and endurance....

(I like this guy.) :lol:
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.
回覆文章